Saturday, April 24, 2010

Does anyone know of an effective treatment for seborrheic dermatitis on the face?

Ever since I had mono 1 year ago, I've had seborrheic dermatitis (SD) on my face and scalp. Can a lowered immune system from an illness such as mono ever trigger this? The dermatologist who diagnosed it put me on a steroid cream for my face but it made my condition worse. Are there any other facial treatments for this condition besides steroid creams? I had clear skin before the SD hit. Now I get dry red itcy blotches all over my face and scalp especially in the cold winter months.

Does anyone know of an effective treatment for seborrheic dermatitis on the face?
I hate to say it but till this day there is no such cure for seborrheic dermatitis. It can appear and disappear randomly. I'm dealing with this annoying thing for four years now. I'm currently taking a pill (sorry do not remember the name of the medication but will let you know) and a cream (again, can't remember..) which is not cortisone based. (I'll probably need another pill for memory). Do not use cortisone or steroid creams as they might be effective in the beginning but gradually wear out your skin leaving it thinner and thinner, in some cases causing little visible capillary vanes. I try to eat as healthy as possible, a lot of vegies and fruit, not much bread (yeast) as I used to, occasionally do saunas, do exercise and try to keep my skin as clean as possible. I guess the only thing we can do is keep treating it the best way we can and hope that one day it will go away. Let's be optimistic.. it'll have to go away!!!

sage

No comments:

Post a Comment