Monday, November 16, 2009

Does my cat have dermatitis?

My cat has very long hair and it gets tangled pretty badly. I was trying to brush his fur today and I realised he actually has a lot of bald patches, is that because his hair gets tangled and pulled leaving bald patched or does he have some sort of dermatitis? I noticed he smelled a bit as well and I haven't noticed that before. Could it be because I pull his hair apart to untangle it? It is really very difficult to separate it even with a brush - and he hates being brushed. He doesn't seem to have any other problems, he is generally happy and has a normal appetite.

Does my cat have dermatitis?
I agree with the first answer, but would like to add to it.





People can catch ringworm from their pets and even certain types of mange. So it would be wise to have him checked by the vet.





Most long-haired cats need help with their grooming. If they get matted, they can't clean themselves. which could result in a bad odor. Yes, they can have bald patches from pulling the fur out.





Once you've determined that there's no medical condition causing this, I suggest you have him shaved (groomer or vet). Then start a regimen of daily brushing. Start easy with a soft brush. Then as he realizes he's not being hurt, you should be able to graduate to combs as his fur grows longer.





We had adopted a long hair who had mats and fleas. He had bald patches and looked very ragged - hence "Rags". He eventually learned to enjoy his grooming sessions.
Reply:You cat could have ringworm, which is a fungus that can affect you. It can also have mange with can also affect you.





Suggest that you get to the vet immediately.





Certainly the smell cannot logically be a result of pulling his matted hair apart, can it?


No comments:

Post a Comment